The first radio stations to reopen
after the war. The U.S. government
turned it over to the Philippine
Government. The broadcast call
letter "KZ" was replaced
by "DZ" for Manila,
"DW" for Luzon, "DY"
for the Visayas, and "DX"
The newspaper Manila Chronicle,
started by a group of pre-war
newspapermen in 1945, was sold
to businessman Don Eugenio Lopez,
brother of then vice president
Fernando Lopez. It built up a
name as a paper quality, until
it was closed by martial law.
In 1946, the Commonwealth
Act of the US Congress
permitted the US President
to grant temporary permits
to operate radio stations.
In 1947, Philippine radio stations
were required to change the first
call letter from K to D with DZ
standing for Luzon stations, DY
for Visayas and Palawan stations,
and DX for Mindanao and Sulu stations.
(Link to radio 50's)
In the 1950s, television came
to the Philippines
The University of Sto. Tomas and
Feati University experimented
with television before it turned
commercial. In February 1950,
UST demonstrated its home-made
receiver, Feati opened an experimental
television station two years later.
As early as 1935, UST had graduated
its first journalist Narciso Reyes,
later to become ambassador.
In 1950, Republic Broadcasting
System was incorporated. DZBB-RBS
(now GMA-7) goes on air. DZBB
introduced political satire.
by the emergence of pioneer personalities
in tri-media, advertising, PR,
and education; big businesses
and the Press and the introduction
of television in 1953.
publication of pioneering
works of Jose Luna
- the style
book of the Manila Times (1960)
the Manila Times Journalismn
and Effective Writing (1969)
of Philippine Press Institute
Perfecto Hernandez' books
on How to Manage a Community
and the Law of the
The establishment of communication
departments in colleges
The establishment of professional
Publishers revived pre-war
newspapers like the Manila
Bulletin and the Philippines
The new Manila
Times was established by
Joaquin Roces in place of the
Tribune. Up to the time of Martial
law, Manila Times led all the
Philippine- language dailies in
Philippine Broadcasting System
under Francisco "Koko" Trinidad
pioneered in development broadcasting;
it aired farm programs on some
radio stations and entered into
regular program of exchange of
cultural programs with countries
in the Asian region.
In 1952, Lyceum University
established a school of journalism.
National Press Club was organized
Commercial television came in
1953 when DZAQ-TV Channel 3, the
very first station was opened
in Manila by Alto Broadcasting
System owned by Antonio Quirino
who was brother to then president
By 1957, Chronicle Broadcasting
Network, owned by the Lopez
family, operated two TV stations
- DZAQ and DZXL-TV Channel
9. (link to dzaq-tv)
In 1957, the Public Relations
Society of the Philippines (PRSP)
National Media Production
Center (NMPC) was created
in 1954 under the Office of
the President. Its "builders"
were Hernando R. Ocampo, Conrado
V. Pedroche and Gregorio Cendaņa.
NMPC was mandated to produce
information and education
materials for government development
the Philippine Women's University
also established a school
1961, the National Science
Development Board was established;
it was the earliest initiative
to use local TV for education,
"Education on TV" and "Physics
in the Atomic Age."
UPLB established the Department
of Agricultural Information
(now Development Communication).
Metropolitan Educational Association
(META) (1964-1974) in cooperation
with the Ateneo Center for
Television Closed Circuit
Project, produced television
series in physics, Filipino
and social sciences which
was broadcast in selected
TV stations and received by
participating secondary schools.
The META team was headed by
Leo Larkin, J. with Josefina
Patron, Florangel Rosario,
Lupita Concio and Maria Paz
1965, Dr. Gloria D. Feliciano
who was first dean in UP Diliman,
established the UP Institute
of Mass Communication (now
Josefina Patron became the first
head of Ateneo de Manila University,
Department of Communication in
Press organized in March
1965 was the UP Press
1965 Maryknoll College established
a communication department.
1966, the number of privately
owned TV channels was 18; ABS-CBN
was the biggest network by the
time Martial Law was declared.
1966, Silliman University in Dumaguete
City was the first school of journalism
outside Metro Manila.
1968, the first provincial
television stations were established
in Cebu, Bacolod, and Dagupan.
The daily content was mostly
canned programs; only 10%
of programs were locally produced.
programs were established by West
Visayas State College in 1965
and St. Louis University in Baguio
City in 1968.
Paul's College in Quezon City
established a communication department
1969, Pamantasan ng Lungsod
ng Maynila established a communi-cation
that fostered greater openness
for college graduates as reporters
in later years - journalists as
part-time lecturers, publication
of landmark books on journalism
by Jose Luna Castro - Style Books
of the Manila Times in 1960 and
Manila Times Journalism Manual
journalists at the time also served
as lecturers: Jose Luna Castro,
Crispulo Icban, Pocholo Romualdez,
Hernando Abaya, I.P. Soliongco,
and Armando Malay.